We were waiting for a show to start at Elizabethtown College, so we ventured into "downtown" Elizabethtown to find a place to have dinner. Later, we found that we could have snuck into the catered dinner for free. Although the food didn't look very good, I can't say it would have been much better than my entree.
I use "downtown" loosely. It's pretty much 2 blocks long. Apparently, the corner of Market and High make up the square, but it looked like any other intersection. There were a few banks, restaurants, and other random stores over those two blocks, but not even a souvenir shop! It made me feel lucky to have gone to college in Lancaster.
We received recommendations for Flowers in the Kitchen and Flavers. We looked at the menu of both before deciding. Even though Flavers offered more options, Flowers in the Kitchen looked like a really great place to spend a couple of hours. Flavers had no atmosphere whatsoever.
Flowers is a restaurant and trinket store all in one. There are fabulous tables and chairs that look like a cross between a table someone would have in their own kitchen and something you might find in a school. It worked, though. The walls were covered in bookshelves filled with trinkets, odds-and-ends, art supplies, etc. They were fore sale, although I don't think they make more than one sale per week. The restaurant was big, but we were the only people eating until 15 minutes before we left. This may have been because we arrived at 4:45. The menu offered a soup, several salads that pretty much consisted of greens, a type of nut, and a type of fruit. There were appetizers, but they were more like bar snacks (crackers, cheese, pretzels). The main courses are changed every week, it seemed. It was mostly chicken dishes, a couple of fish, a steak, and a pasta. I was disappointed because the only options I had were the steak or the pasta, because chicken always tastes bad at a restaurant. So I went for the pasta.
The disk was called "linguine with four cheese and tomato sauce." It was basically marinara sauce. I asked, and the waiter told me there was cheese in the sauce. I didn't want to go through the trouble of returning it, especially because the only other option I had was steak. So I went with it. The sauce was reasonably good and it came with a soup and desert. Overall, the meal was disappointing in its quality, especially once we realized we could have had a free catered dinner. The desert was excellent, though. Their theme was maple sugar, because this is the maple tree tapping season. There was maple syrup in Jeremy's couscous and bacon. My desert was a maple brownie sundae with maple syrup. Jeremy's pear tart also had maple in it.
Would I go back? Not unless I'm hungry and in Elizabethtown. But I would go here over any other place mostly because of the atmosphere.
Flowers in the Kitchen
8 S Market St
Elizabethtown, PA 17022
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great review
Post a Comment