Friday, February 20, 2009

bao noodles

Dinner at Bao Noodles on Valentine's Day was good overall, but I have some concerns. The menu was pretty full of traditional and nuveau Vietnamese dishes, all at reasonable prices - something that seems hard to come by below 14th street. We had the pre-fix $30 four-course dinner. The first two were light and vaguely thai-esque. The third tasted more like really good Chinese food (not saying much, in my book). The desserts were typical of a modern restaurant and featured Vientamese touches. Everything tasted good and there was a lot of food, but I wonder why they couldn't include any traditional Vietnamese dishes, which made up a large portion of their meny, on the pre-fix. Vietnamese food is faily filling, at least compared to sushi, and would have made good second and third courses. The only dish that could have been mistaken for traditional Vietnamese, a spring roll, was gone by the time we ordered. Although, I don't know how Vietnamese, or how authentically Asian, spring rolls really are.

The refreshing part of the evening was the simple decor and the crazy music. All in all, I would go back - just order from the actual menu next time.

Bao Noodles is located at 391 2nd Ave. between 22nd and 23rd Streets. Here is the website: http://www.baonoodles.com/

No comments: